This article is the first in a series where we will look at all 16 MBTI types as they relate to the topic of high sensitivity (HSP, the highly sensitive person, highly sensitive physiology).
In the context of personality types, INFJ (Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Judging) is one of the 16 personality types in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). INFJs are known for their unique combination of traits, which include being empathetic, insightful, and perceptive. High sensitivity is often associated with the INFJ personality type due to their distinct cognitive and emotional processing.
Here’s how high sensitivity relates to INFJs:
1. Empathy and Emotional Sensitivity: INFJs are highly empathetic individuals who can easily pick up on the emotions and energy of others. They tend to be more attuned to subtle emotional cues and are often deeply affected by the feelings of those around them. This heightened emotional sensitivity is a characteristic often associated with high sensitivity and can arise in part from the presence of highly sensitive physiology.
2. Intuition and Depth of Perception: INFJs possess strong intuitive abilities that allow them to see beyond the surface and grasp the underlying meanings and patterns in various situations. Their intuitive nature gives them a keen sense of insight and foresight, which can contribute to their high sensitivity to the world around them.
3. Overstimulation and Emotional Intensity: Due to their deep processing and heightened sensitivity, INFJs may become easily overwhelmed in stimulating or emotionally charged environments. They may need time alone to recharge and process their thoughts and emotions, as exposure to excessive sensory input or emotional intensity can be draining for them.
4. Depth of Feelings and Connections: INFJs tend to experience emotions deeply and intensely. They may form profound and meaningful connections with others, and these connections can have a lasting impact on them. High sensitivity often accompanies the depth of emotional experiences that INFJs go through.
5. Idealism and Sensitivity to Injustice: INFJs are driven by a strong sense of idealism and often have a deep concern for social justice and the well-being of others. Their sensitivity to injustice and the suffering of others can fuel their desire to make a positive difference in the world.
It’s important to note that not all INFJs will exhibit high sensitivity to the same degree, as individual differences exist within each personality type. Moreover, high sensitivity is not exclusive to INFJs; it can be found in individuals of various personality types as well. The concept of high sensitivity is complex and multifaceted, and it is influenced by a combination of genetic, environmental, and personality factors.